Tuesday 8 March 2016

Musical Overload

As many of you regular readers will know I sing with the Leicester Bach Choir. Somehow they still let me stay in and I bumble along, which I am grateful for the privilege . Last Saturday was the spring concert and we sang Petite Messe Solemnelle by Rossini.





 I had never heard of the music, but very soon into the rehearsals I fell in love with it. But as the concert got nearer I became aware that every night I woke up to the tunes playing in my brain. Also during my working day I found myself humming the tunes much to peoples confusion as to why this noise was happening! Come the concert day we had the honour of rehearsing with the soloists. Oh boy my favourite was the contralto Rhonda Browne. Should say the other soloists were excellent. The very very best bit came at the end in the Agnus Dei.  

 Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem
which means:

Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.

There was one bar where the soloist is pleading  "miserere" and then the key changes or I think the music gets resolved and oh it sent me into heaven.




 The first time I heard her sing it I struggled to join in with our lines. Wow. The evening performance was magical and afterwards there was almost a disappointment that it was over and never to be sang again. Still doesn't stop listening to the cd.

Now onto another bit of music! I cannot believe the lengths my hubby went to in order for me not to guess something. About a month ago I decided it was time to sort out all out CDs. Shamefully they were a mess. Cds not in their boxes, not put back on the right shelves etc. So I spent several hours sorting them out. Then a week ago I see him taking off the shelves about 20-30 cds. I'm flabbergasted. I quiz him as to what the heck he's doing with them all and he announces that he's going to load them onto his computer. The next day the cds are still sitting on the dining table so I encourage him to do something with them. He promises that he will put them all back in their right place. So on Mother's Day I get a cd from my daughter. I think oh that's so thoughtful of her as I was trying to play her some of the music from YouTube at Christmas time. Hubby comes home and I show him the cd and then he falls about laughing - saying "oh I can fool you still!". Apparently whilst getting all the CDs off the shelves he had asked me who and where was the female vocalists singing classical. I had informed him and then he secretly responded to my daughters request for the name. She had forgotten who the singer was. Hubby knew that I would be irritated about all these CDs coming out that I wouldn't guess what he was really up to!


Here is the cd - I loved this cd as a child and it bought back happy memories listening to it again. She also sent me some beautiful flowers through the post.




Coming home from work last week to see this beautiful sky.


Well I finally had the courage to start a new garment - an artists smock or I think of it more as a fishermens tunic.


I have not totally finished it yet but have got some bits left to do. The collar is attached but has more work to be done on it, the cuffs need finishing along with the hem. Also pleased that it fits. Bit yesterday I had a bad bad thought - I did not wash the fabric before using it. Oh I'm so hoping that it does not shrink in the wash. So I will wash it on a very low heat and keep my fingers crossed. It's not having a washing line picture until it is finished. But I will show an inside picture!



Planning on finishing it tonight. Well I wish you all a good week and thanks for popping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment