Tuesday 14 April 2015

What Have I Been Up To? - Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting.

It's been a busy weekend in my craft room. You may remember in the distant past I had a go at trying to make a dress but it turned out more like a nightie. Then I tried another one and again a second nightie! What with the Great British Sewing Bee - television programme - it really inspired me to have yet a third try at making a dress. You may also remember a few weeks ago I bought some material and a pattern from the NEC - time to use it. Time to put my demons to bed and have another try. So I decided I was not going to use my really lovely expensive material first, but rather try on some rather daringly bright cheap fabric. Here is the pattern:


Now using the cheap material first was a good move. I made the dress once and it was way too big! So  unpicked it all and started again with a smaller size (sorry do not know what I've done to the font!) Having made a second dress with the same fabric it was still a little smocky. But here is a photograph of dress number one. Maybe I can wear it whilst camping in hot France - sorry avert your eyes if it is too bright!


Should say the dresses look better on than off! I added the buttons to try and hide the smockiness. Then I had a brain wave - you know one of those moments when the penny drops. I thought the three dresses on the pattern were all the same other than the the different sleeves. I remembered seeing something on the pattern for the front....


Do you see it says "Centre front fold version 1" and "Centre front version 2 & 3". Aha I can make the dress less smockey by folding it in at version 1! Eureka!


So determined not to give up trying to make a dress off to Fabric Guild to get some more material. Dress number two was made by Sunday afternoon. It's okay you do not need to wear sunglasses for this one!


Those of you who are looking at this picture will see some creases as I wore it to work yesterday! I really like the colour. The fabric is Indigo by Moda. Mrs A and I went to choose the fabric and you would have laughed at us as we were standing in the shop draping fabric across each other determined to decide whether the fabric would not make me look like I'm wearing another nightie or look like a pair of curtains! Hopefully you'll agree that it was a safe choice. Then as I'm phoning Mrs A to say I've made it and saying another day I'll use the second fabric when I'm realising as I'm saying it I'm going to do it then and there! Golly aren't we complicated people! Why do I say I'm not going to start another dress and then have the power to change my mind in the middle of saying it? I need a psychiatrist! OK dress number three. I had a problem with the neck band with number two and ended up having to put in a little gathering of fabric at the neckline. So for number three I cut out a longer neckband but this has made it a little lose on the neck so I have been thinking about that and hopefully I have got it right in my mind for the next dress!


Now this fabric was a bargain at £3 a yard - Amy Butler - Gypsy Caravan for Rowan. I was not too sure about the design but when I realised it was Amy Butler I though it should be safe. So there you go three dresses in a weekend. Not sure about number one but maybe camping will be ok. So that means I ought to try and make it again with the fabric that I bought at the NEC show next.


Looking forward to doing this next dress - hopefully will have everything correct.

Meanwhile I have also been busy putting all my granny squares together to make a blanket. The wool is rather significant. It is made up with leftover wool from the baby grandchildrens' blankets and a blanket I made for my daughter in Northern Ireland. The squares have all been connected and I am now in the middle of crocheting an edging. So just a small glimpse of this blanket until it is finished.


Also started knitting yet another small shawl.


This is the last time I can make one of these shawls as the Noro wool I use is no longer being imported into the UK as it is getting too expensive for the wool shops to buy - oh sad days :(


Finally using up some bits of oddments - more dish cloths! How exciting to have a new dish cloth to use when washing up?! Definitely need a psychiatrist! Ooops can I hear the the van pulling up with the men in nice coats to take me away. Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment