Wednesday 26 March 2014

All Sorts - Day Five, Northumberland

Woke up today unsure of what I was going to do and then decided to head off to Alnwick. As I begin to drive I remember the charity shop in Belford and head there first. On my way there I have to stop because I see these gorgeous lambs.


Just look at their cute black legs. They are so adorable!


As you drive along the A1 this is the view you see looking across to Holy Island.


Belford is a lovely village in fact Mr P and I nearly bought a house here, but there were some structural issues with the house and so we had to abandon the idea. Anyway I can recommend the charity shop, nearly every time I go in there I get something really nice. Today they did not let me down. I bought some items of clothing one being made by Joules! All for £2 each - bargain. Can't show you them as they are in the wash. Then the great thing about being on your own is that you can change your mind about your plans. Suddenly I just didn't feel like trecking down to Alnwick and decided to head to Bamburgh instead.


Along this part of the A1 as soon as you head towards the coast there is always a railway line to cross. Mr P and I usually have daft bets as to whether the train will be coming from the south or north, if we have to wait at the crossing. Not much point doing that on your own, missing Mr P like mad.




What I find amazing is that I am still finding places I have never seen before and this was one of them.



























Wow what an amazing place to stay for a holiday.  Looks as if its about £690 a week for two people.



























The reason I changed my mind as to where I was going was because the weather was looking a little happier and my feet a little happier. (Decided to remove the blister plaster from underneath my heel as I think it was making worse and causing an infection. This has helped a bit and my heels are feeling tons better.)

I do love the coast line around Bamburgh and I love to park near to the golf course. Here you can sit in your car and just look across the whole of the bay. It's especially exciting when the tide is coming in as the sea crashes against the rocks and throws out a spray. I have visions of Mr P and I sitting there with our books, flask and picnic when we retire and have got too old to walk far.


Yes that is a deer painted into the rocks - not sure why?


In the distance you can see the Farne Islands - this is where the famous Grace Darling supposedly rescued lots of shipwrecked sailors in a small rowing boat. There is a bit of controversy as to whether she actually did or not, but I think the consensus of opinion is that it is most likely true. If you are ever in this part of the world then do visit the Grace Darling Museum run by the RNLI.


Of course there is always Bamburgh Castle to visit. I have to confess that neither Mr P or myself has ever been to visit the castle.


The village green was looking pretty with the daffodils circling the trees. Then I decided to drive to Fenham le Moor. Have not visited there for years but the bird hide is still there and have just discovered there is a blog kept for the site - click here to see. Just after I parked this tit decided to come and join me!


Bit of a crazy bird as it kept pecking at my window and mirror!



The view from this remote stretch of coast looks across to Holy Island.


Just wanted to show you  the drive into our village - all the way in is daffodils on either side of the road.


Back to the cottage to do some hookey (crochet) and give my feet a break. I hope I don't regret this but I have booked a return ticket to the big city - Edinburgh, for tomorrow. Oh well if I can't walk I'll just have to people watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment